Users of the OTSI website are entitled to expect that any information gathered as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of the New South Wales government's privacy responsibilities and obligations. The New South Wales government's privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988.
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on the OTSI website, the computers on which the site is hosted automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- The IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it;
- Your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk, etc.);
- The address of your server;
- The date and time of your visit to the site;
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- The previous site or page visited;
- The time you spend browsing the site; and
- The type of browser and operating system you have used.
Cookies are not used on the OTSI site to collect information. Nor does the OTSI link information automatically gathered through its website with personal data about specific individuals.
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in statistical reports in order for OTSI to identify usage patterns for the site. This will assist us in improving the OTSI website and the services offered on it.
OTSI will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988.
What exceptions are there to this rule?
OTSI will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- Unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published on the OTSI website pages;
- Unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the OTSI website;
- Unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the OTSI website by other sites;
- Attempts to intercept messages of other users of the OTSI website;
- Communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed; and
- Attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the OTSI website by other users.
OTSI reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the OTSI website raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In the event of an investigation, OTSI will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
Who else has access to information within OTSI?
The information is captured on the computers on which the site is hosted. Access to the raw data is restricted to a limited number of officers for the purpose of analysis and to report on the success of the OTSI website in meeting OTSI's communication and access objectives.
The officers who can access the raw data are members of the Information Management & Technology team of the NSW Ministry of Transport.
Statistical reports prepared from the raw data are circulated among selected officers inside OTSI.
What happens to the email gathered from the website?
Any email sent to OTSI via links from the website is assessed then passed onto the most appropriate officer within OTSI. Replies to emails, including the original message, are treated as official records and are saved and archived.
Will this policy be updated over time?
Due to the developing nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.